Principal Therapist: Danielle Cottam Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist BSc (Hons) MRCSLT, MASLTIP, MHCPC, CPSP MSPA
A Specialist Children’s Speech and Language Therapist with over a decade of experience working with children, families, schools and community services in the UK and Australia. Danielle is registered with The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Private Practice, Speech Pathology Australia and The United Kingdom’s Health Professionals Council.
As a Mum herself, Danielle is passionate about the delivery of fun, evidence-based interventions that consider the needs of the whole child and family. Danielle has extensive experience in providing in-home and in-school therapy services and understands the need to tailor interventions so that they are manageable (and enjoyable) for everyone involved.
As a highly specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Danielle has experience in the full range of childhood communication difficulties e.g. speech sound difficulties, language delay, social communication needs e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorders. Danielle has specific expertise in the areas of Selective Mutism and Oral-Motor Issues (speech sound and eating and drinking difficulties) following post-graduate training and specialism in these areas. Danielle has been involved in the set-up and management of services in these areas across the UK and Australia for over 10 years.
Communication and mealtime issues rarely require a one-fits-all approach. Having worked closely with Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Dieticians, Psychologists and medical teams for over a decade Danielle is adept at recognising the needs of the whole child and is an advocate for trans and multidisciplinary interventions. Similarly, Danielle is skilled in the development of holistic treatment plans, that integrate a variety of approaches, based upon in-depth assessment. To enable this approach Danielle is trained in many specialist skills and programmes including:
- Talk Tools Oral Placement Therapy
- Talk Tools Sensory Motor Impact on Mealtimes
- Ellyn Sattyr Division of Responsibility
- Suzanne Evan’s Morris – Feeding the Whole Child
- Post-graduate Dysphagia qualification
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Selective Mutism training – Maggie Johnson
- Selective Mutism Across the Lifespan
- Triple P – Positive Behaviour Management
- LAMP – Liberator AAC
- Key Word Sign and Signalong
- Talking Mats
- Word Aware
Danielle’s work has often involved supporting others and spreading the word about speech, language, communication and mealtime needs. Some example conference presentations and media articles can be found below.
- Language delay – https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/spotting-delayed-development-signs-for-parents-and-teachers-ng-b88744879z
- Selective Mutism – https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/rare-condition-selective-mutism-makes-children-so-panicked-they-cannot-speak-ng-f352d0f1804fa4af7bc9c3cf3a030410
- Selective Mutism – https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20170708/282033327227697
- 2018 Paediatric Interagency Conference – A transdisciplinary approach to mealtime intervention in the disability sector
- 2018 Curtin University – Undergraduate lecture: Dysphagia Across the Lifespan an Ethical Perspective
- 2016 Speech Pathology Australia Conference – Transdisciplinary Management of Dysphagia and Mealtime Needs in the Disability Sector
- 2016 Western Australia Teaching Assistant Conference – Selective Mutism in Schools
- 2015 National Disability Service WA Conference – Differential Diagnosis in Mealtime Management
Danielle’s Australian information support website www.selectivemutismwa.com.au continues to provide support to countless individuals with speech confidence issues.